February 24, 2017
How Accor wants to transform the way everyone uses hotels
Deal by deal, AccorHotels is taking bold steps to bring the traditional hotel company into the future and its newest pilot is absolute proof of that.Read more
November 20, 2012
According to Micros' latest "eCommerce in Independent Hotels 2012 Report," 62% of surveyed hotels are not taking advantage of cross- or up-selling opportunities during the online booking process - a missed opportunity to increase per booking revenues.
Despite 90% of UK hotels having booking facilities on their website, they could do much more to optimise revenue through their online presence, according to research from MICROS, a technology provider for the hospitality industry.
The company’s 2012 eCommerce in Independent Hotels Report, which provides an insight into how independent operators are using web and mobile technologies to engage with guests, found that only 38% of hotels are offering any optional extras, such as flowers, chocolates Champagne, during the online booking process.
The other key findings include:
- 37% of hotels respond to every TripAdvisor review of their property, whether positive or negative
- Only 6% allow the guest to book a table in the hotel restaurant during online room booking
- 10% have a website that is optimised for mobile phones
- 85% have a Facebook page, although the quality of updates vary with only 43% of hotels putting details of promotions and offers on the site
- 75% have a Twitter account, but only 35% responded when asked a question via the site
- 39% did not appear on the first page of Google results for their keywords
Paul Finch, vice president of hotel sales at MICROS, said: “We were impressed to see so many independent hotels using social media – 85% had a Facebook page and 74% were on Twitter, although only 35% actually responded to our tweet. The fact that 37% of the hotels take the time to respond to every review on TripAdvisor was also very positive.”
“However, there is still a lot that can be achieved, especially where revenue generation is concerned - 62% of the hotels weren’t offering any additional extras during the online booking process and that’s a missed opportunity.”
Download the complete report at Micros (PDF 1.2 MB)
Visit our sponsors: