November 21, 2017
Booking.com looking for its #BookingHero
Booking.com celebrates incredible guest experiences with global social media competition to honor the unsung heroes that make travel magic happen every day.Read more
CWT Solutions Group, the consulting division of Carlson Wagonlit Travel, published research that shows a 5 percent gap between the perceived and actual value of Last Room Availability rates.
“Last Room Availability rates have been the gold standard for hotel agreements since the 1980s, and no one has ever really questioned that. But we have now looked into this in great detail and it seems like the gold has lost some of its shine.” says Eric Jongeling, Director, Hotel Solutions. “Our research shows between 5 percent and 11 percent differences in some markets so travel managers should bear this in mind when negotiating global rates.”
The key findings of the research, which analysed 7,300 2016 hotel bookings across 97 countries, revealed that:
- There is a 5 percent gap between perceived and actual value of LRAs. This can translate into millions lost each year for corporations on misperception of the value of LRAs.
- 44 percent of hotels charge a premium for including an LRA clause.
- 12 percent chance that the traveller will not be able to stay at their contracted rate - even with an LRA rate.
- Multiple hotels in a target market negates the need for an LRA clause.
- The perceived value differs considerably between premium and economy hotels and between cities.
Download the research paper at Carlson Wagonlit Travel (free registration)
Last Room Availability Rates
When companies have negotiated Last Room Availability (LRA) rates, which are often higher than Non Last Room Availability (NLRA) rates, they have the right to buy a room at their contracted terms and prices even if the hotel only has one room left in that category.
For companies without a negotiated LRA clause, and only Non Last Room Available rates, it’s at the discretion of the hotel as to what price they sell the last rooms.
Visit our sponsors: