TripAdvisor is the first travel site to reach 100 million reviews and opinions - a more than 50 percent increase year-on-year - now covering more than two million tourism businesses in more than 116,000 destinations around the world.
According to a recent study by PhoCusWright, commissioned by TripAdvisor, nearly nine out of ten users (87 percent) agree that TripAdvisor hotel reviews "help me feel more confident in my decisions." Despite travellers' increasing expectations and demands, the study also revealed that eight out of ten users (80 percent) agree that TripAdvisor hotel reviews "help me have a better trip."
The benefit of the wisdom of the crowds is increasingly supplemented by the wisdom of friends, as Facebook-connected users currently submit 35 percent of new reviews on TripAdvisor. With the integration of Facebook on TripAdvisor, this means that travellers are able to see and share valuable perspectives with their own friends and their friends' friends.
The average review rating on TripAdvisor in 2012 was 4.1 out of five.
"Travellers the world over want to have the perfect trip, and nothing helps travel planning more than recent reviews from people who have been there before," says Steve Kaufer, co-founder and CEO of TripAdvisor. "Having 100 million reviews and opinions adds remarkable perspective to any travel-planning decision, and we thank our passionate community as their insights continue to increasingly help travellers plan and have the perfect trip."
The coverage and associated usefulness of the site is set to exponentially grow as its user and membership base grow. TripAdvisor currentlyhas more than 200 million unique users a month[ 2 ], more than 47 million marketable members (more than 100 percent growth year on year)[ 3 ] and collects more than 60 user contributions a minute.
- For a hotel in the top 500 searched destinations on TripAdvisor the average number of reviews is 139and the average number of candidphotos is 53.
- TripAdvisor features reviews on hotels in every country except Vatican City, which has no hotels listed on the site
- TripAdvisor has restaurant reviews in 99 percent of all countries in the world (exceptions: Marshall Islands and Somalia)
- The site features reviews on attractions in 98 percent of all countries in the world (exceptions: South Sudan, Nauru, Equatorial Guinea)
- 16 attractions feature more than 5,000 reviews, with the most reviewed being Central Park in New York with 11,993 reviews
- 26 hotels feature more than 5,000 reviews, with the most reviewed being the Luxor in Las Vegas with 9,904 reviews
- For a hotel in the top 50 searched destinations in the UK on TripAdvisor, the average number of reviews is 240 and the average number of candid photos is 53.